2. Getting Started
To get started creating Applications you should already have the prerequisite components in place and access to a test device. This section will describe the configuration and walk through creating a very simple “Hello World” application.
In order to work with applications you must specify the path to the designer in the Warehouse Insight Setup.
- Open the Warehouse Insight Setup card
- Departments -> Warehouse Insight -> Administration -> Warehouse Insight Setup
- Enter the URL to your Warehouse Insight Web Service
- General -> Environment -> Warehouse Insight Web Service
This section will provide a very quick tutorial into making your first Application.
Follow the steps below to create a simple link on the main page of the handheld that will display a message to the user.
- Open the Application page.
- Departments -> Warehouse Insight -> Setup -> Applications
- Select ‘New’ to create a new Application
- Enter “HELLO WORLD” for the “Code”
- Click “Design”
- Actions -> Design
- You should see a screen similar to the following. If not, ensure the Warehouse Insight Setup web service has been correctly entered.
- Select the “When the form starts” control and drag it onto the design area.
- “Events” -> “When the Form Opens”
- Select the “Display a Message” control and drag it under the previous control so that they connect.
- “Interactions” -> “Display a Message”
- Select the green “String Variable” and drag it onto the “Title” connector of the message control.
- “Variables” -> “ “
- Type in “Message” for the value.
- Select another green “String Variable” and drag in onto the “Message” property connector of the message control.
- “Variables” -> “ “
- Type in “Hello World!” for the value.
- Select the “Close Screen” control and drag it under the “Display a Message” control so that they connect.
- “Actions” ->”Close Screen”
- You should now have a screen similar to the following:
- Click the “Save” button.
- This will save your changes to NAV.
- Open the “PDA Menus” in NAV to associate the new application to a PDA option.
- “Departments” -> “Warehouse Insight” -> “Setup” -> “PDA Menus”
- Choose “Main” from the “Form” drop down options
- Insert a new record and enter the following values:
- “Caption”: “Test Application”
- “Standard Action”: “Start Module”
- “Custom 1”: “HELLO WORLD”
- Can also be set in the “Module To Start” at the bottom of the page
- “Custom 2”: “24”
- Can also be set in the “(Advanced) Application Reference” at the bottom of the page
- Click “OK” to finish modifying the menu options.
- Launch Warehouse Insight on the handheld
- You should have an icon that looks similar to this:
- Click the “Test Application” link
- Your application message should appear
This concludes the brief introduction into making your first basic application. More detailed descriptions, interactions and usage scenarios are provided in the following sections.