Note: When using the auto-split features and when one Shop Floor employee is tracking time on multiple operations simultaneously, time is allocated across the operations involved upon clock-off.
This article outlines the steps for configuring automatic time splitting. Complete the three sections in order, as needed and consider the following while completing the sections:
- For the time splitting to function correctly, Shop Floor employees must clock on all required operations to split time on at the same time.
- You cannot add an operation to a batch that is already running. You must clock off everything in the batch, and then clock on all operations needed.
- You can stop one operation (see Single OFF note below).
- We recommend using the Disabling manual time entry setting on the Shop Floor client configuration card.
- Time splitting only works for time recorded to production orders.
Configure automatic time splitting on the Shop Floor Client Configuration Card
- Navigate to the Shop Floor Client Configuration Card in Business Central.
- Create a new client configuration card, if needed.
- Set the Auto-Split fields in the Production Order section:
- Auto-Split Work Center: Define the Shop Floor Work Centers included in this field (the Shop Floor Work Centers are used when you select “Work Centers in Filter” in Auto-split by).
- Auto-Split By: Define how the time splitting applies to operations affected to either “The same work center”, “Work Centers in Filter” or “Everything”.
- Auto-Split Lines: Tells the system which time card lines are involved in the time splitting when you clock off.
Note: Auto-split lines’ “Selected line and previous lines” behavior is where you need to select the last time card line when you want split everything. For example, you have three lines and you want to clock off the first two but keep the third going, use “Selected Line and Previous Lines”, select the second line, and clock off. The first two lines clock off, keeping the third open. If an install wants to always clock off all lines, use “All Matching Lines”; do not use “Selected Line and Previous Lines”.
Every time card line matching the configured settings will have the time split according to the Shop Floor Work Center’s splitting settings, which must all be compatible.
- Navigate to the Time section on the same Shop Floor client configuration card.
- Set the Time Entry Mode field to “Auto – Same entry only” (dictates the behavior when you start clocking on a new operation).
Note: If you clock onto operation A with this setting, then scan operation B, operation A remains clocked in. Press Clock Off or scan operation A again to clock off that operation.
Note: We recommend setting a color on the Open line color field if you have not already. Setting a colour makes the open time cards line a different colour, making it easier to differentiate lines.
Configure time splitting on the Shop Floor Work Center
The other required configuration for time splitting is on the Shop Floor Work Center. This is where you turn on the automatic time-splitting and tell the system what kind of time division (or splitting) is taking place.
- Navigate to the Shop Floor Work Center.
- Set the “Auto-Split Time” = ON.
- Select the “Auto-Split behavior” that applies to you:
- Quantity: Splits the time proportionally across the affected lines, based on the operation’s input quantity on the production order (e.g., You have three lines with an elapsed time of 60 minutes; line one’s input quantity is 1, line two’s input quantity is 2, and line three’s input quantity is 3. Line one is 10 minutes, line two is 20 minutes, and line three is 30 minutes).
- Capacity: Performs proportional splitting with input quantity in mind and uses the run time defined on the production operation routing (uses the operation’s defined setup time if auto-splitting setup time; uses the operation’s runtime if auto-splitting runtime).
- Equally: Splits the duration exactly equally (e.g., You have three lines with an elapsed time of 60 minutes; each line would 20 minutes ).
- Total: Take the total duration and apply it to each line (e.g., You have three lines with an elapsed time of 60 minutes; each line would 60 minutes ).
Note: It is not technically possible to combine proportional and non-proportional time.
Note: If you are including more than one Shop Floor Work Center in time splitting (dependent on the Auto-Split by setting), ensure that each WC/MC has the same settings for Auto-Split time is ON and the same value selected in Auto-Split behavior.
Use automatic time splitting
Complete the following steps after you have completed the Configure automatic time splitting and Set the Shop Floor web client to track time on multiple operations simultaneously sections.
- Close and re-open the tab with the Shop Floor web client.
- Clock onto the following operations:
- C (etc.)
- Any other operations you need to track time on
- Select one of the operations when the time arrives to clock off, (or the last one if you are using the “Selected Line and previous Lines” option on the Auto-Split Lines setting).
- Scan the operation’s barcode to clock off.
Note: The matching operations clock off simultaneously with your configured setup time or run time. If you wish to clock off only one of them, select the operation and press Single OFF button. This clocks off all lines and then automatically clocks ON the lines that you did not clock off.