Ensure the user has special function permissions before you proceed with configuration documented in this section; otherwise, you may not be able to see any employees you create.
Shop Floor Employees need to exist for any:
- worker using the Shop Floor interface
- user posting time
A Shop Floor Employee connects to a Business Central resource record or a Business Central employee record.
Note: Setting up a Shop Floor Employee requires you to first create a resource or employee in Dynamics Business Central for each Shop Floor user. Then you create a Shop Floor Employee and link them to the resource or employee. Only add Shop Floor Employees that use Shop Floor Insight. Un-blocked Shop Floor employees count towards your Insight Works license.
Minimum fields that need to be defined:
||What it Does
||When You Need It
||Name of the Shop Floor Employee.
||Whether the Shop Floor Employee refers to an employee, resource, work center, machine center, or blank.
||The employee, resource, work center, machine center, or blank.
|Default Shift Pattern
||The default shift of the worker.
||A reference to the Business Central User ID for this employee.
All Time Approvers.
All Shop Floor users that need special permissions such as creating QI inspections or using the drag-and-drop scheduler.
All Shop Floor users that will also be using the Business Central or Role Tailored Client.
Create a Shop Floor employee
There are three ways to create Shop Floor Employees:
- Create Individually: useful for onboarding individuals in existing installations.
- Create with Create From Template tool: useful for initial setup or mass on-boarding of individuals.
- Create with Rapidstart: useful for initial setup, planning with Excel, and migrating data between companies or systems.
- Navigate to Shop Floor Employees in Business Central.
- Choose New (you may see example employees).
- Enter the employee number in the No. field.
Note: The number can be auto-generated but should match the Business Central Employee or Resource number when possible. If the employee reference is different than the payroll system reference for the employee, define the employee reference in the Export ID section in the Payroll group.
- Define the Default Shift Pattern.
- Define the User ID for:
- Users reviewing their time cards in Business Central
Additional Setup for Overtime and Exporting Time to Payroll
If you are calculating overtime or exporting time to a payroll system, navigate to the Payroll section. For full configuration of calculating overtime and exporting to payroll, additional training may be required.
- Enable Export Time.
- Select an appropriate Payroll Config. Code (contact Insight Works for training on this topic).
- Input the appropriate Export ID and Export CO Code, if needed.
Note: If the payroll system has a different reference for the employee, input the reference for the payroll system in the Export ID field.
Additional Setup for Supervisors and Approvers
All Approvers and Supervisors must have their User ID configured on their Shop Floor Employee Card. The approval hierarchy defines who is allowed to review and approve other time cards. The hierarchy can be configured from either the perspective of the supervisor or the worker.
To configure from the perspective of the supervisor, complete the following:
- Edit the Shop Floor Employee card for the supervisor and choose Manages.
- Manages Type: Employee
- Manages No.: references the employee that the supervisor manages.
- Navigate to Shop Floor Function Permission and allow the individual functions for that supervisor if the supervisor is also allowed to edit comments or change times on their workers’ time cards.
Note: If Post is checked, the user is able to review, change, and post time cards for anybody in the system.
- Navigate to Available Role Centers and select Shop Floor Insight Approver as the role center.
The Shop Floor Insight Approver role center provides optimized menus and KPIs to help with managing and approving time.
Note: Approvers can use an optional role center. To access this, the supervisor can edit their settings.